Monday, May 30, 2016

Not only will I always remember, I will never forget.




 
I don’t have much time to blog anymore, it seems life has many other ideas of what I should do with my time. Even now as I sit here typing, I can think of at least 6 other things, some more important, some less important, that I could be doing. But as many times before, this one won’t stop nagging at me. So in order to alleviate some thoughts from my noggin, I will type until every last thought and opinion on this matter have all been set free.... Well, maybe just most of them.



First, let me start by saying I am an animal lover. I love animals, I truly see them as a gift from God to enhance and bless our lives. I love cats, dogs, birds, fish… aren’t they relaxing… elephants, mice, guinea pigs, pigs, dolphins… I could go on but you get the point. You may have noticed I did not mention any reptiles, that was not a mistake. Although I do believe all men/women are created equal, I do not feel the same about animals and there I have now exposed my bias! Anyway, I do love animals. I feel anyone who is cruel to animals, or children is a special kind of evil and I have no tolerance for this…. Oops now I have exposed my intolerance, I may have to watch my back after this blog is posted…. I do love, love animals and learning about them. HOWEVER, if I see one more post about this gorilla, I may scream. I truly am saddened that this creature who was minding his own business, living his life in his habitat had to lose his life, I really am. I am however not mad at the zoo officials, they had to make a tough call, not a call any animal lover EVER wants to make, and they had to do it fast. They are not to blame, they suffered a great loss.  I am not angry with the 4year old, you know, 4 year olds have guardians for a reason… Enough said! No, I cannot watch the full video, but I saw enough to know. It is a great loss. But human loss is even greater. Like it or not, agree with me or not, human life is more valuable and just as irreplaceable. According to God’s very words, we are His greatest creation. Unfortunately, this gorilla is the victim of human error, as was the child. This child should not lose his life due to a possible lack of supervision. The whole thing is a tragedy, a tragedy this child will realize more and more as he gets older. I am certain because I ran over an elderly cat of ours, years ago and I have never forgotten it. I bawled, had nightmares, then cried some more. This story isn’t over for those involved. It is a tragedy all around.....

BUT…. BUT, I have to ask WHY, WHY does it seem on this day of remembrance for those who sacrificed; some who sacrificed all, some who will never hug their family again, some who will never be the same, some who suffer day after day, some wishing they had lost their own lives, some who watched as others gave the ultimate sacrifice I have to ask why does this gorilla’s life seem as though it is getting more attention than the brave men and women who provided us the freedoms that allow us to spew and post opinions and even ignorance on social media without the fear of being stoned or having our heads chopped off!!!! I think this is a legitimate question and the longest sentence I have ever typed! (I would take the time to mention the lives of the unborn that are also needlessly lost, but this would become the longest blog I’ve ever written) Do those who have taken the time to post their opinions calling the zoo officials murderers have any clue what today is about? Do they know this day was originally named Decoration Day? Do they know it started after the civil war by Union veterans and merged into a remembrance for all American soldiers who gave their lives while in military service? (That is ALL. The red, the yellow, the black, the white, the brown…. ALL) Do those who are crying outrage and tragedy for this gorilla have any idea how many people died for their freedom? Do they acknowledge it? Do they celebrate it? Honestly, do they appreciate it?

 

Admittedly, even I, a very patriotic, freedom favoring, liberty loving, red white and blue wearing American knows that my expressions of gratitude nor the tears I have shed or the prayers I have prayed can come anywhere near providing the thanks they each deserve for all they have given. I don’t know if they can see or feel my gratitude, but I hope they can. I hope and pray for the rest of my life to make sure not any veteran I encounter ever doubts how much I appreciate his contribution and sacrifice. If you ever doubt that they appreciate our expression of thanks, let me share something with you. While in Academy a few months ago, to buy Jerry a new pocket knife we (I had 5 of my kids with me) encountered a Vietnam veteran. As soon as I saw his hat, I turned to him as he was looking around. As soon as I caught his attention, I said, "Thank you, sir for your service and sacrifice for our country." He choked immediately, I involuntarily decided to join him in choking. The kids also acknowledged him.  We struck up a conversation about the sad state of our country. Right after as I was looking for a knife, he insisted on helping us find the right one. He even took out his knife and showed us what he liked about it, which brand was best for what Jerry wanted. He still seemed to have a spirit of serving and I was appreciative of his help. I think he needed to help me as much as I needed his help, if you know what I mean.

Remember these mostly faceless human beings who gave so much, they are someone’s father, mother, brother, sister, husband, wife, uncle, aunt, or child...They may be yours; appreciate them, respect them all as though they are. Take the time, not just today, every opportunity you have to let them know not only do you remember those who have served and or sacrificed, but you will never, ever forget.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment